The ForensiKit: Evidence Photography box includes
- Two No. 2 ABFO-type Photomacrographic Scale – Metric
- Two No. 2 ABFO-type Photomacrographic Scale – Inch
- One MicroMini Pocket Microscope with Smartphone Adapter
- One 15-pack Disposable Evidence Tents
- One activity insert (Download another copy [PDF])
- One packing list (Download another copy [PDF])
No subscription required
Taking evidence photos with a DSLR camera
Taking evidence photos with a cell phone camera is OK, but a dedicated DSLR camera offers access to an optical macro closeup setting and advanced exposure options.
- The file format for your images is important. RAW is the best format because it’s uncompressed.
- RAW image editing requires special image tools.
- If you’re unsure of your abilities, use the JPG setting.
- Set the image quality on fine and the image size to largest.
- Increase the depth of field of focus by using a high F-stop setting on the lens.
- Increase image sharpness by shooting at 1/60 or faster shutter speeds.
- Use a focal length of around 50mm. Do not use your zoom settings to get close because it causes distortion.
- If you’ve seen a photo where the subject’s nose looks large, you’ve seen this kind of distortion. It happens because a zoom setting was used, which caused the facial area closest to the lens to appear larger.
- Your DSLR camera lens likely has macro lens abilities. Look for the tulip icon on the lens.
- When you turn to that focus setting, it becomes a fixed focus macro lens for closeup photos.
- Move in and out to establish focus.
- Use a tripod to maintain a consistent perspective in a series of photos.
- To photograph a scene at night, use a long shutter speed of several seconds.
- Use a flashlight to paint with light by illuminating the darkened areas so they show up in the image.
💡 Tip: You can use the gray scale printed on your No. 2 scale to correct a photo’s exposure. Bring the image into your photo editor, and match the on-screen gray color to the actual color of the scale you have.
Need more scales?
No. 2 Photomacrographic Scale
Need more evidence tents?
Want to level up?
Mug Shot Backdrop