The ForensiKit: Printing with Classic Powder box includes
- One 1-oz. vial black fingerprint powder
- One 1-oz. vial white fingerprint powder
- Two fiberglass brushes
- Two 25-sheet pads of 2×6 flat lifting tape
- Twenty fingerprint cards, white backing
- Twenty fingerprint cards, black backing
- One dust mask
- One pair of Nitrile gloves
- One activity insert (Download another copy [PDF])
- One packing list (Download another copy [PDF])
💡 Pro Tip: Always wear a mask and gloves when dusting for prints. Fingerprint powder can irritate your respiratory system, and your bare fingers can leave prints on the surface you’re dusting, contaminating the evidence.
Activity – Collect fingerprints from a vehicle
Someone has been messing with your vehicle, and you’re going to lift fingerprints to identify the culprit.
- A parked vehicle you can safely access
- Camera or cell phone to take photos
- Have someone in your group leave fingerprints on the exterior of the vehicle while you’re not looking.
- Select a specific area like the driver’s side door to save time.
- To fully test your skills, make sure they touch different surfaces like the glass, the chrome, and the painted areas.
- 💡 Don’t worry. Follow the cleanup instructions, and all the powder will come off.
- Follow the Developing the Print procedure to dust for latent prints.
- Choose your powder color to contrast with the color of the surface.
- The white powder works well on chrome surfaces.
- Take photos of the dusted prints to document where you found them.
- Follow the Preserving the Print procedure to lift the dusted prints with the clear tape and save them on the cards.
- Label each card with the information you know about that print — e.g., where it was found, when it was collected, etc.
- Examine the lifted prints. Can you exclude your fingerprints and identify the others?
Tips to protect against car theft
- Keep doors and windows locked.
- Roll windows up all the way.
- Keep the car interior tidy.
- Store any items in the trunk or out of sight, so there’s less to appeal to a thief.
- Make sure any electronics, holders, power cords, and adapters are out of sight.
Learn more about How To Lift Fingerprints from POLICE Magazine
- How does fingerprint powder work? – Scientific American
- Choosing the Best Fingerprint Powder for Your Scene – Evidence Technology Magazine
- History of Fingerprinting – HowStuffWorks
Need another brush?
Fingerprint Brush, fiberglass
Need more fingerprint powder?
Want to level up?
Basic 4 Combination Latent Print Kit